Monday, September 30, 2013

A Review of Haunted Chemistry by Lindsey R. Loucks


 Haunted Chemistry
 Lindsey Loucks

 Genre: Paranormal Romance
 Release Date: September 30, 2013
 Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC

 ISBN: 9781622662982
 ASIN: B00EX07ZBA
 Pages: 120

 Goodreads Rating:  3.57
 My Rating: 3.5

Book Description:

When bookish college co-ed Alexis heads to the laundry room in her new apartment, she runs into Ian Reese, the chem lab partner she crushed on all last semester. And the guy who stood her up on their first date. But she’s down for an awkward reunion, and no better place than her creepy laundry room.

Ian has every intention of making amends, but just when Alexis begins to trust him again, a new threat calls more than their future together into question. A ghost from the apartment’s past is hellbent on revenge, and if he wants to get his girl, he’ll have to get the ghost first.

My take on the book:


I'm really surprised how much I actually enjoyed this short story given that it was written in a first person pov. I tend to stay away from books like that due to the script like read but this story was the complete opposite. One of the best things about this book was the lack of repetition which is a standing theme in first person stories. Truthfully this has been one of the most enjoyable reads for me in this last week. I liked it so much I read it twice. I only wish it was a longer book so that I could get a little more from the scare department but this was definitely a chill-tastic book with a steamy scene that didn't steal the spotlight or over-share, another recurring theme in short stories with adult scenes. I look forward to reading more from this author.


Since this was a short one, I finished it in just over an hour. Having said that, I feel doing a full break down with the pros and cons list would give too much away about the story. So I’ve decided a quick overview should do the trick in this case. Firstly, I like the interactions between Alexis and Ian. They were cute together but what I didn’t like was the pace on their love scene. It seemed to just be thrown into the story for the heck of it. There was no thought put into their injuries. It made for an awkward moment as a reader and I kinda wanted to rush through that scene and get it over with. I’m okay with the ‘get down’ in a book but this one wasn’t exactly what I wanted. What I liked about the scene was the complete lack of oversharing. It was too short for all the descriptions that sometimes come with these types of stories and I find that the balance of detail and story progression was done well in this book. 


My only other pet peeve was Ian’s back story, while it was said and a tad heart wrenching it still seemed kinda bland. I loved the ghost hunting bit but when they have the last encounter with the ghostie downstairs, I felt kinda lost in the authors writing. I found myself having to read that passage over and over till I got the imagery right. The perfectly depicted scenery became a muddy washed up mess. But mostly I think I just really liked Tri. He was super cute and a funny little thing, definitely a ghost fighting cat.


I really liked this book! Sure it had its ups and downs but all in all it had just the right amount of scary, cute and steamy. I would definitely recommend this book to any paranormal romance fan. It’s the kinda book you have to experience and decided for yourselves.




3 Stars/Quills


“I received an eARC of the book from the Publisher (Entangled Publishing, LLC) via NetGalley for my honest opinion.”

No comments :

Post a Comment