Thursday, May 1, 2014

A Review of Blood Magic by T.G. Ayer



Blood Magic 
Soul Tracker Series
Book #1
T.G. Ayer

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Release Date: April 28, 2014
Publisher: Infinite Ink Books

ISBN: TBA
ASIN: B00JX8UC8K

Pages: 220
Goodreads Rating:  4.35
My Rating: 4.5

Synopsis:

My name is Mel Morgan and I’m a Tracker. I find people for a living. The people I help have no idea I know exactly how they feel because I’ve lost someone too. If only I could have found the one person I’ve been looking for all these years.

My current case is no ordinary abduction. Before long I’m neck deep in blood magic – the worst kind. I need the help of a necromancer if I’m to free the kid. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

When sexy djinn Saleem asks for help things get a little hot to handle. But how can I say know? Dodging demons and sorcerers are just part of my day job.



My Take On The Book:

Omg… talk about cliffhanger. This book will definitely keep you wanting more with only a few grammatical errors, the story is solid and enthralling.

After reading the first chapter, I was a bit worried that this book would have too much or not enough going on but… it was the perfect balance. I fell in love with the characters and their stories. Mel is awesome and the Persian Djinn Saleem is one smexy demon ;)

But honestly this was a great read and an even better introduction to the Soul Tracker Series. This was my first read by author T.G. Ayer but I can guarantee that it wont be my last as this is one extremely talented author and I am 110% hooked on this series.

The Great (Pros):

  • The Cover. Clean and really pretty! It’s a simple cover that leaves a lot to the imagination but it does capture the eye and definitely made me pick up the book.

  • Characters. The characters in this book were solid and developed fully. I liked their connections.

  • Magic. Sucker for magic in books and while this one wasn’t heavy on witchcraft or anything it was a ‘magical’ book. As a soul tracker, Mel has her own brand of magic, mixing that with a Djinn, a scary necromancer, a white witch and many others and you’ve got yourself a pretty great book.

  • Demons. I like books that are ‘ballsy’ enough to take on the demon taboo. This author did an excellent job with it!

  • Romance. :sigh: there wasn’t a whole lot action going on in this department but it was a nice steady build that left me jonesing for the next installment.


The Not So Great (Cons):

  • Descriptions. Or better yet a lack of descriptions. I felt like I was missing something. Not only with some of the settings but also with the characters. While the story was easy enough to follow and a relatively quick read, I felt like I was thrown head long into a story that had already started.

  • Information Overload. I know that it seems odd following the previous bullet but where we lacked description there was also an overabundance of info in others. Some characters just had to much backstory thrown at you.

  • Not enough Saleem. But that’s not really a con and just a personal preference on my part as I understand that giving us too much of them will take away from the build of their relationship in future books. Its just that he’s so yummy, you can’t help but wanting to read more.

4.5 Quills

I am genuinely looking forward to the next book and reading others by this author. The genre and storyline was reminicent of 'The Hollows' by Kim Harrison and 'The Mercy Thompson Series' by Patricia Briggs so if you enjoyed those books then this is a definite must read!

Purchase:


Author Bio 

I have been a writer from the time I was old enough to recognise that reading was a doorway into my imagination. Poetry was my first foray into the art of the written word. Books were my best friends, my escape, my haven. I am essentially a recluse but this part of my personality is impossible to practise given I have two teenage daughters, who are actually my friends, my tea-makers, my confidantes… I am blessed with a husband who has left me for golf. It’s a fair trade as I have left him for writing. We are both passionate supporters of each other's loves – it works wonderfully…

My heart is currently broken in two. One half resides in South Africa where my old roots still remain, and my heart still longs for the endless beaches and the smell of moist soil after a summer downpour. My love for Ma Afrika will never fade. The other half of me has been transplanted to the Land of the Long White Cloud. The land of the Taniwha, beautiful Maraes, and volcanoes. The land of green, pure beauty that truly inspires. And because I am so torn between these two lands – I shall forever remain cross-eyed.

Author Links:


Thanks for stopping by,

No comments :

Post a Comment